Moving and driving abroad

So you have passed your driving test with Want Driving Lessons! You have sent off for and finally gotten your hands on your new driving licence. You have gotten your insurance and your vehicle has passed it’s MOT testing. This all means that you are ready to hit the road as a fully fledged driver and enjoy a long and safe driving career! That’s all well and good but what about if that road is not in the U.K? Are you planning on moving to the United Kingdom from Ireland for example? Or is the move the other way round?

There are some rules and regulations that you will need to adhere to if you wish to drive permanently in another country. For example if you are taking a vehicle that has been previously registered in the U.K out of the country (for more than 12 months this is known as a permanent export) you will need to do the following:

  1. You will need to inform the Driving and Vehicle Licensing Agency as soon as you have made your plans. You can do this by filling in the V5C/4 ‘notification of permanent export’ section of the V5C registration certificate (logbook).
  2. You must then send your completed V5C form to the it to the following address: DVLA, Swansea, SA99 1BD.

Keep the rest of the V5C registration certificate, this will be needed to register the vehicle once you have traveled to your new place of residence abroad. If you are not in possession of a V5C registration certificate, you can get one using the V62 form.

If you’ve already left the UK and are driving you will be asked to get a V561 certificate of permanent export.This seems a little confusing but you will need to apply for the V561 Certificate by filling out the V756 form. The address where you will need to send it will be on the form itself.

Intending on moving your vehicle between Great Britain and Northern Ireland? You will not need a V561 certificate of permanent export. Not if you’re simply moving between these two places even on a regular basis.

Please note that if you are planning on moving from Great Britain to Northern Ireland permanently you will need to fill in the change of address section on the V5C registration form.

There is a different form to fill out and send off if you are planning to move from Northern Ireland to stay in Great Britain. This is the V5CNI form. It is a registration certificate and will need to be sent to your local DVLA Office.

When it comes to Tax Discs, you will need that to be kept on the vehicle no matter which country it has been registered in. This will need to be kept on until the expiry date shown on the disc itself. Once it has you will be able to re-tax in your new country of residence!

Remember that all of the forms mentioned above can be found and printed off from the DVLA website. 

This entry was posted in Driving Lessons and tagged , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

Comments are closed.